Monday, August 2, 2010

ROME

When you're in hostels, using the internet is a P in the A. Hence, I have not updated this blog...and I leave for home tomorrow.

As I'm stuck in this nasty airport hotel for the night, it's the perfect time to catch up!

ROME


We arrived from Vienna to Rome last Sunday. We took an airport shuttle bus to the hostel. The van ride was one of the most nauseating drives I have ever experienced. The driver 1) went over 100 mph 2) went over 100 mph down bumpy cobblestone streets 3) went 100 mph down THIN cobblestone streets using a stick shift. Anyone who has been backseat to stick shift driving knows that its a lot of slowdown-acceleration jumps (does that even make sense?). I never felt so car sick in my life.

We stayed in Alessandro's Palace Hostel. Expensive--but it had a nice room. They didn't have an elevator...and that was unfortunate. This hostel felt a lot more like a hotel. This is good for some people, but it had a less youthful atmosphere.

Where to begin with Rome? I can sum up the three days there in two words: Sightseeing and Pasta.

I don't really feel like getting into what we saw. Not that I don't appreciate it, but most people know the sights...and it is hard to describe the feeling of looking at some really amazing things. My personal favorite? The Colosseum. Obvious choice, but you can't help to imagine all the crazy shit that went on in that place. I thought the Vatican was quite fascinating as well..and creepy. But that's just me!

MEL AND TIM--here's a shout-out video of 2 of your beautiful offspring while inside the Colosseum. "LOOK WHERE WE ARE!"



Whoever has said they had bad food in Rome, they are mental. The food was AMAZING. Rome was the beginning of my malnutrition. I pretty much eat bread and pasta everyday. We generally had 2 meals each day. I went a good 6 days without fruits, vegetables, or milk. Gross.

Check out Picasa pictures (up soon) to see my other Roman activities. It was amazing and a tourist-must!

T

No comments:

Post a Comment